How to Lace your Vans Shoes and Trainers
Since ‘66, Vans has been synonymous with effortlessly wearable skate gear and original street style. Today we’re answering the age-old question, ‘What’s the best way to lace Vans shoes?’ The answer is, of course, whatever way suits your unique style.
Straight-laced, cross-laced, zipper-laced or in an Off the Wall style all of your own, check out our guide to lacing your Vans shoes and getting the most out of your trainers.
How to cross-lace Vans shoes
Straight out of the box and ready for the street, the cross-lacing method is the standard for our iconic styles like the Vans Authentic and Old Skool. Need to lace a pair yourself? Here’s how to do it:
- Thread each end of the shoelace through the two bottom eyelets – the left end through the left eyelet and vice versa, forming a bar between them.
- Thread the right lace through the next eyelet on the left side, going over and down through the hole (careful not to twist the lace!).
- Repeat the process with the left lace, being sure to feed the lace downward through the eyelet, then bring it back up again once it's threaded.
- Continue the pattern up to your desired eyelet. Some people like to leave a few eyelets empty for more room, others like a snug fit.
- Cross-lacing shoes
meansthat one side of your laces will always lie atop the other. When lacing your second shoe, if you reverse the pattern, your shoes will be mirrored.
How to straight-lace or bar-lace Vans shoes
If you need an extra-snug fit on your shoes, the straight-lacing method will give you a good grip throughout the day (and give your trainers a unique look to boot). Here’s how it’s done:
- Thread the left end of the lace in downwards through the bottom left eyelet,
rightend of the lace through the bottom right eyelet.
- Feed the left lace underneath the second-bottom eyelet on the left side, and bring it up through the hole. This method hides the laces for a clean look.
- Take the right lace and feed it through the third bottom-right eyelet from underneath. The second right eyelet should remain empty.
- Grab your left lace and insert it down through the second bottom-right eyelet – the empty one.
- Both laces should now be on the right side of the shoe. Now take the right lace – the one in the third bottom-right eyelet – and feed it up and across to the left side and down through the third bottom-left eyelet.
- Repeat the process on the other side.
How to zipper lace Vans shoes
Can’t decide between cross laces and straight laces? Zipper lacing is the unique middle ground between the two. Follow these steps to zipper lace your
- Tie one end of your lace in a knot. This knot will act as an anchor of sorts, so make sure it isn’t able to fit through the eyelets.
- Thread the unknotted end of the lace through the bottom right eyelet from underneath.
- Take this same end across and over, threading it downwards through the bottom left eyelet.
- Bring the lace under and across, threading it upwards through the second-to-bottom right eyelet.
- Repeat until your shoe is laced all the way. You won’t have to shoelaces to tie with this method, so simply pull it as tight as you like, tuck
inthe end of the lace, and you’re good to go.
How to hide shoelaces on Vans
If you’re about the hit the skatepark or bike track, or you’re heading on an outdoor trip, hiding the laces on your Vans trainers is the best way to avoid tripping on them or getting them caught in your wheels. Instead of bringing your laces back up to tie them at the front, tuck the ends into the sides. This works best with the straight-lace and zipper-lace methods.
Switch it up
Give your fave go-to skate shoes a new look with a fresh pair of laces, available in black, white and our iconic Checkerboard print. Our trainer laces are made to fit any pair of Vans shoes, so you can wear them however you like. They’re also designed for the grind with 100% polyester for long-lasting durability.
How to wear Vans shoes (pro tip: however you like!)
Looking for style inspo? For a classic aesthetic, team Sk8-Hi trainers with turned-up denim and a t-shirt, or pair an A-line dress with Vans Era trainers for the ultimate in street-first style. Don’t forget that there’s no right or wrong way to wear Vans – it’s all about expressing your own Off the Wall style however it suits you. Choose from hundreds of styles and colours in Vans trainers, clothing and accessories for a look that’s uniquely you and offers all-day comfort and practicality.
In other languages:
English: How to lace your Vans,
Español: Cómo atarte tus zapatillas Vans,
Italiano: Come allacciare le scarpe Vans,
Français: Comment lacer vos baskets Vans,
Deutsch: So schnürst du deine Vans,
Polskie: Jak wiązać sznurówki Vansów,
Nederlands: Hoe strik je de veters van Vans schoenen